
In an explosive revelation set to shake Bangladesh’s political landscape, the National Independent Inquiry Commission has concluded that the 2009 Pilkhana massacre was “pre-planned”, internally coordinated by top Awami League (AL) leaders and enabled with what investigators describe as “Indian involvement” in destabilising the country.
Commission chief, retired Major General ALM Fazlur Rahman, delivered the long-awaited report to Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus on Sunday, stating unequivocally that evidence points to both external influence and organisational complicity within the then-ruling AL government.
Receiving the report, Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus said:
“For long, the nation remained in the dark about the BDR killings. This work will put an end to many unanswered questions. The report is a national asset.”
The inquiry found that then Member of Parliament Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh “acted as the principal coordinator” of the conspiracy, while the massacre itself unfolded with a “green signal” from the then prime minister Sheikh Hasina.
“The conspiracy aimed to weaken the border force and destabilise Bangladesh. At that time, India sought to create instability while the government sought to extend its rule,” Fazlur said at a packed press conference.
A long-suppressed inquiry into the 2009 Pilkhana massacre has delivered its most explosive conclusion yet, alleging that the slaughter of 74 people—including 57 army officers—was pre-planned, politically enabled, and influenced by India, with senior Awami League (AL) leaders directly implicated in its execution.
Submitting the long-awaited report to Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus on Sunday, the head of the National Independent Inquiry Commission, retired Major General ALM Fazlur Rahman, said the findings point to “Indian involvement” in a conspiracy aimed at weakening Bangladesh and destabilising its security apparatus.
He said the then ruling Awami League was “organisationally involved”, and that the mutiny unfolded with a “green signal” from the then prime minister, Sheikh Hasina.
Fazlur Rahman said former MP Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh “acted as the principal coordinator” of the plot, while several influential AL figures and senior security officials were also named as key actors. He added that Border Guard Bangladesh (then BDR) had been “deliberately weakened” in the years leading up to the mutiny, leaving it vulnerable to internal sabotage.
Speaking at a crowded press conference, the Commission chief said the investigation was hampered by the destruction of crucial evidence and the disappearance of individuals tied to the events. Many of those connected had fled abroad long before the Commission began its work.
When asked to identify the principal architects of the Pilkhana uprising, he listed Sheikh Hasina, Sheikh Taposh, Sheikh Selim, Jahangir Kabir Nanak, Mirza Azam, Sahara Khatun, General Tarique Siddique, former Army Chief General Moeen U Ahmed and former DGFI chief Maj Gen Akbar Hossain.
Pressed to clarify which foreign state had interfered during the crisis, Fazlur said, “We meant India, where our former prime minister, along with her party members, took shelter.” He further revealed that “around 921 Indians came to the country at the time. The whereabouts of 67 are unknown.” He cited testimony from General Moeen claiming that military intervention was avoided during the mutiny because “India would have intervened”.
Commission member Jahangir Kabir Talukder reinforced that the massacre was meticulously orchestrated, saying Taposh served as the “principal coordinator”, and that groups linked to the AL were involved in protecting those who escaped the compound. He noted a particularly revealing incident in which 20 to 25 individuals entered Pilkhana but emerged with more than 200, many of whom subsequently disappeared. He said responsibility for the tragedy lay squarely with the then head of government and the army chief, adding that the police, RAB and intelligence agencies “failed miserably” during the crisis.
The inquiry also faulted sections of the print and electronic media for what it described as an “unprofessional role”, accusing some outlets of compounding confusion and obstructing the truth. It further found that no proper records were kept of the BDR personnel who met Sheikh Hasina at the State Guesthouse Jamuna during the unfolding massacre.
The Commission reviewed witness testimonies—some of which lasted up to eight hours—and re-examined investigation reports and intelligence documents from the period. It said every effort was made to address long-standing questions over why the army remained inactive and how the chain of command collapsed so completely.
The 2009 attack, one of the deadliest in Bangladesh’s history, saw 74 people brutally killed over two days inside the BDR headquarters. Although trials were conducted during the Awami League’s tenure, public demands for a fresh inquiry intensified after the recent change of government. The Commission was formed on 24 December with a 90-day mandate.
Receiving the report, Chief Adviser Professor Yunus said the nation had “remained in the dark for long” about the true causes of the carnage and praised the Commission for “unearthing the truth”. He said the findings would stand as a “valuable national asset” and a source of lasting lessons.
National Security Adviser Dr Khalilur Rahman, Special Assistant on Defence Lt Gen (retd) Abdul Hafiz, and Home Secretary Nasimul Ghani were present at the submission.
The report details a complex network of political coordination, security failures and foreign influence that investigators say created the conditions for the Pilkhana massacre. Witness accounts, intelligence notes and travel records were analysed to reconstruct the events of February 2009, with the Commission concluding that the mutiny’s scale and precision could not have unfolded without high-level direction.
According to the findings, groups linked to the Awami League facilitated entry and escape routes for suspects during the two-day bloodbath. One account indicated that a team of 20 to 25 individuals entered the compound early in the crisis but exited with more than 200, many of whom have not been traced.
Testimonies also suggested that critical decisions during the crisis were shaped by fears of external intervention. Former Army Chief General Moeen is quoted as saying that any military action risked provoking direct interference from India — a claim the Commission cites as a key factor in the paralysis of the armed response.
The inquiry also examined the role of the media, noting that some outlets amplified confusion and may have inadvertently disrupted early crisis coordination. Investigators found that no accurate record exists of BDR personnel who met Sheikh Hasina at the State Guesthouse Jamuna during the massacre, adding to what they described as “glaring gaps” in documentation.
The Commission’s recommendations focus on systemic reforms across the armed forces, intelligence agencies and crisis-management protocols, along with measures to ensure accountability for families of the slain officers who have waited more than 15 years for clarity.
Officials present at the handover of the report described it as a “turning point” in understanding the most devastating attack on Bangladesh’s military leadership. As political reactions begin to unfold, the report is expected to trigger renewed debate over responsibility, justice and the future of civil-military relations in the country.
Comments

In an explosive revelation set to shake Bangladesh’s political landscape, the National Independent Inquiry Commission has concluded that the 2009 Pilkhana massacre was “pre-planned”, internally coordinated by top Awami League (AL) leaders and enabled with what investigators describe as “Indian involvement” in destabilising the country.
Commission chief, retired Major General ALM Fazlur Rahman, delivered the long-awaited report to Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus on Sunday, stating unequivocally that evidence points to both external influence and organisational complicity within the then-ruling AL government.
Receiving the report, Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus said:
“For long, the nation remained in the dark about the BDR killings. This work will put an end to many unanswered questions. The report is a national asset.”
The inquiry found that then Member of Parliament Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh “acted as the principal coordinator” of the conspiracy, while the massacre itself unfolded with a “green signal” from the then prime minister Sheikh Hasina.
“The conspiracy aimed to weaken the border force and destabilise Bangladesh. At that time, India sought to create instability while the government sought to extend its rule,” Fazlur said at a packed press conference.
A long-suppressed inquiry into the 2009 Pilkhana massacre has delivered its most explosive conclusion yet, alleging that the slaughter of 74 people—including 57 army officers—was pre-planned, politically enabled, and influenced by India, with senior Awami League (AL) leaders directly implicated in its execution.
Submitting the long-awaited report to Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus on Sunday, the head of the National Independent Inquiry Commission, retired Major General ALM Fazlur Rahman, said the findings point to “Indian involvement” in a conspiracy aimed at weakening Bangladesh and destabilising its security apparatus.
He said the then ruling Awami League was “organisationally involved”, and that the mutiny unfolded with a “green signal” from the then prime minister, Sheikh Hasina.
Fazlur Rahman said former MP Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh “acted as the principal coordinator” of the plot, while several influential AL figures and senior security officials were also named as key actors. He added that Border Guard Bangladesh (then BDR) had been “deliberately weakened” in the years leading up to the mutiny, leaving it vulnerable to internal sabotage.
Speaking at a crowded press conference, the Commission chief said the investigation was hampered by the destruction of crucial evidence and the disappearance of individuals tied to the events. Many of those connected had fled abroad long before the Commission began its work.
When asked to identify the principal architects of the Pilkhana uprising, he listed Sheikh Hasina, Sheikh Taposh, Sheikh Selim, Jahangir Kabir Nanak, Mirza Azam, Sahara Khatun, General Tarique Siddique, former Army Chief General Moeen U Ahmed and former DGFI chief Maj Gen Akbar Hossain.
Pressed to clarify which foreign state had interfered during the crisis, Fazlur said, “We meant India, where our former prime minister, along with her party members, took shelter.” He further revealed that “around 921 Indians came to the country at the time. The whereabouts of 67 are unknown.” He cited testimony from General Moeen claiming that military intervention was avoided during the mutiny because “India would have intervened”.
Commission member Jahangir Kabir Talukder reinforced that the massacre was meticulously orchestrated, saying Taposh served as the “principal coordinator”, and that groups linked to the AL were involved in protecting those who escaped the compound. He noted a particularly revealing incident in which 20 to 25 individuals entered Pilkhana but emerged with more than 200, many of whom subsequently disappeared. He said responsibility for the tragedy lay squarely with the then head of government and the army chief, adding that the police, RAB and intelligence agencies “failed miserably” during the crisis.
The inquiry also faulted sections of the print and electronic media for what it described as an “unprofessional role”, accusing some outlets of compounding confusion and obstructing the truth. It further found that no proper records were kept of the BDR personnel who met Sheikh Hasina at the State Guesthouse Jamuna during the unfolding massacre.
The Commission reviewed witness testimonies—some of which lasted up to eight hours—and re-examined investigation reports and intelligence documents from the period. It said every effort was made to address long-standing questions over why the army remained inactive and how the chain of command collapsed so completely.
The 2009 attack, one of the deadliest in Bangladesh’s history, saw 74 people brutally killed over two days inside the BDR headquarters. Although trials were conducted during the Awami League’s tenure, public demands for a fresh inquiry intensified after the recent change of government. The Commission was formed on 24 December with a 90-day mandate.
Receiving the report, Chief Adviser Professor Yunus said the nation had “remained in the dark for long” about the true causes of the carnage and praised the Commission for “unearthing the truth”. He said the findings would stand as a “valuable national asset” and a source of lasting lessons.
National Security Adviser Dr Khalilur Rahman, Special Assistant on Defence Lt Gen (retd) Abdul Hafiz, and Home Secretary Nasimul Ghani were present at the submission.
The report details a complex network of political coordination, security failures and foreign influence that investigators say created the conditions for the Pilkhana massacre. Witness accounts, intelligence notes and travel records were analysed to reconstruct the events of February 2009, with the Commission concluding that the mutiny’s scale and precision could not have unfolded without high-level direction.
According to the findings, groups linked to the Awami League facilitated entry and escape routes for suspects during the two-day bloodbath. One account indicated that a team of 20 to 25 individuals entered the compound early in the crisis but exited with more than 200, many of whom have not been traced.
Testimonies also suggested that critical decisions during the crisis were shaped by fears of external intervention. Former Army Chief General Moeen is quoted as saying that any military action risked provoking direct interference from India — a claim the Commission cites as a key factor in the paralysis of the armed response.
The inquiry also examined the role of the media, noting that some outlets amplified confusion and may have inadvertently disrupted early crisis coordination. Investigators found that no accurate record exists of BDR personnel who met Sheikh Hasina at the State Guesthouse Jamuna during the massacre, adding to what they described as “glaring gaps” in documentation.
The Commission’s recommendations focus on systemic reforms across the armed forces, intelligence agencies and crisis-management protocols, along with measures to ensure accountability for families of the slain officers who have waited more than 15 years for clarity.
Officials present at the handover of the report described it as a “turning point” in understanding the most devastating attack on Bangladesh’s military leadership. As political reactions begin to unfold, the report is expected to trigger renewed debate over responsibility, justice and the future of civil-military relations in the country.
Comments